I recently posted articles on the release of two outstanding new DJ controllers from music instrument pioneers Roland. Those controllers are the entry level DJ202 and the very capable mid-range DJ505. My final article completes the magnificent list of new DJ controllers available from Roland. Enter the insane flagship DJ controller monstrosity known as the Roland DJ808.
Roland DJ808 – Insane DJ Controller!
The Roland DJ808 controller is more an instrument than it is DJ gear. Aside from being able to play music on any of the 4 available channels. you can add extra layers of sound via the TRS inspired drum machine. The additional drum sounds are not samples, but are synthesized and can be quickly programmed into the frum sequencer at the top. This is perfect for adding some meaty drums to old school tracks.
There’s also a voice transformer at the top. You can talk into the high-quality mic input and edit the sound of your voice completely by changing the pitch controls. You can also make use of the Serato Key function and sing along to a song that is playing and your voice will remain in key.
The standalone mixer gives you the option to connect external turntables and CDJ’s. There are phono inputs available for turntables which makes the Roland DJ808 DVR ready. Roland has also added two USB AIRA link inputs which will allow you to connect more of Roland’s AIRA performance hardware, such as synths and effects. These devices will sync perfectly with the DJ808 and will play according to the master tempo of the current deck.
- Built-in Roland TR drum machine with 606, 707, 808, 909 kicks, snares, claps and hi-hats
- Control the Serato Sampler with the TR-S sequencer
- Built-in VT Voice Transformer with Pitch, Formant, Ducking and Serato key matching
- Velocity sensitive RGB colour pads for HOT CUE, ROLL, TR, SAMPLER and more
- Large ultra-low-latency platters with integrated displays
- 4 high-quality integrated Channel FX
- Standalone professional 4 channel digital mixer
- Connect external instruments via MIDI or AIRA Link USB and jam along with Serato DJ
- 24bit/96kHz audio fidelity
- Control two decks simultaneously with dual deck mode
- 100mm pitch faders
- Unlocks Serato DJ and comes with a Serato Pitch ‘n Time DJ license
- Connect turntables or CDJs with the purchase of a Serato DVS license
‘specs are taken from the Roland website’
The Roland DJ808 is a magnificent DJ controller. It certainly is the future of all in one DJ performance controllers. There is so much to cover here in this feature-rich controller. I will post a demonstration of the DJ808 soon. So stay tuned…
2 Minute Reviews is part of the Amazon Associates Program
Image Credit – Roland
Hi. I’m Jameel. I’m a Technology Blogger who loves reviewing stuff and voicing my opinions on anything. I hope you find my reviews helpful while having fun on my website.